2.6.11

How To Say No

...and when?

I'm not a person who knows how to say no/reject to start with. If the demand is reasonable, my answer will be "yes" at all time. Especially if it's a favor asked by someone I care a lot, I wouldn't want to deceive him/her...unless I don't have time to render what I was asked for.

Some suggest to say “I’m sorry. I can't do this right now” with a sympathetic and polite, but firm (not defensive or overly apologetic) tone. And, if the other person gives you pressure as to why, you may answer with "I really don't have time to, but if I can free my schedule, I'll let you know" and immediately change the subject. BUT, if that person keeps insisting and being a total jerk, excuse yourself and walk away. (remember that you don’t owe nothing to no one)

In case if you are uncomfortable or unable of being so firm (like myself), or are dealing with pushy people, it is okay to say, “Let me think about it and get back to you.” (remember to be matter-of-fact and not too promising and give people false hope which will lead to great disappointment)

If you want to accept the request, but not entirely, it is again okay to say “I can do this, but…” and make clear of your possible commitment. This way you can be involved on your own terms.

PS. I'm just good at typing it. (to say is easy, to do is a completely different story) Do not ask me to apply those technics when I'm in a situation which requires me to. I'll probably be sweating in my pants and can't find my own words. It is hard to think and make your ideas clear when you're facing a problem.

PPS. If you have any other interesting technics/tactics...feel free to contact me.

1 comment: