30.9.10

Foretaste of Beijing

I'm very excited to visit Beijing...the Forbidden City and Great Wall, etc. WOW!!! I'm wondering why I love those places that much? Maybe one of my long-time-ago lifes happened there? Who knows. Maybe I was even the Empress 武則天. *evil laugh* (think of Scar in Lion King) Muwahahahah!!!

Anyway. Remember how I was happy to learn that Kelly Hu is spending 3 months there to take mandarin classes? Well, looks like (with a 68 font size "I") I'll be there at the same time. HouRAY!!! She posted some of her interesting and hilarious anecdotes on her blog. This can certainly give me an idea and some tips on going to China. Take a look at what she wrote:

Just arrived in China yesterday morning.  Got my apartment all scrubbed up and set up in one day.  Let me tell you, it wasn't an easy job.  The Chinese idea of cleanliness is something I just can't get used to.  For example, I have little dogs on my floor which I thought I would love since I miss Mushu, right?  Well, the dogs are sweet enough but the owners think it's okay to let the dogs out everyday to do their business on the hallway floors!  I mean, WTF!?!  There's pee and poop right in the hallways.  I have to make sure I remember to look down before I step out of the apartment from now on.  Might be hard to remember with all the jet lag and morning classes.

On the subway home from class today, a young woman found the need to talk to me in Chinese.  She was using a hushed tone and I couldn't understand what she was saying but she kept pointing to her chest and my chest.  I finally figured out she was letting me know that my top button of my shirt was undone.  I left it like that on purpose.  Nothing falling out or anything, just your average low cut V neck, but then I remembered a guy staring at my chest in the elevator.  On the walk home I realized that women here have very small breasts and tend to keep them well tucked away.  No wonder people here are infatuated with my enormous B-cups.  Well the beautiful weather will start going away and I'll be covering them up soon enough.  Until then, let the Chinese men enjoy.

[...]

Day 3 in Beijing started on my own catching the subway to my Mandarin class.  This time I was more conservatively dressed but I still stuck out like a sore thumb.  I think I'm just much rock-n-roll for Beijing.  Funny, I feel so tough compare to all the women here with my buckled boots and leather jacket.  In New York I feel like a wimp.  Small chance I'll be getting mugged here.

Figured out something very important today.  The subway map I downloaded from the internet before leaving LA is out of date.  Of course, the subway line I'm on has been completely revamped.  Thank goodness I remembered my guide, Mable, telling me in passing on day 1 that the subway station looks so new because it's only about a year old.  Unfortunately there are no new maps available at the subways station, so I spent the time on the subway jotting down all the differences, looking like a complete foreigner, once again.  After all of that, I realized I had my camera with me and I could simply take a photo, duh.

[...]

Found a Wal-Mart here in Beijing.  Woo Hoo.  And Guess what!  They even sell live turtles!  Unfortunately not as pets but rather to eat.  Yuck.

Took my first cab ride today.  It was peak hour so cabs where super scarce.  Took me all of an hour just to get one!  I kept stopping caucasian people to ask, first, if they spoke English (all of them did) and then, asked their advice on catching a cab.  One guy told me  to go to a hotel to find one.  I asked what I should tip the doorman for getting me a cab and he said people don't tip here in China.  I love that!  The idea of tipping drives me crazy sometimes.  I love a society where you don't have to think about that.  Of course, I did end up tipping the door-person when she got me a cab anyway.  Just didn't feel right to leave without doing it.

[...]

Watched some international ping pong tournament on tv today.  It's amazing how interesting ping pong can be when you don't have anything else to watch in your language.  People take their ping pong very seriously here.  I wonder if ping pong athletes in China get lots of ass like professional athletes in America?
Got this thing to make my internet stronger today and all of a sudden a whole bunch of backlogged email came pouring in from the past few days.  I was wondering why I wasn't getting responses from people.  Thought nobody loved me.  Missed some pretty important email's, too, including one from my agent saying they want me for another episode of Hawaii 5-0!  Guess I'll be jumping on a plane  next week to Hawaii.  Of course, just when I feel like I'm getting settled here and things are getting really good I have to leave.  But I'll be back right after I'm done.  Sooooo much more of Beijing to discover!
OMG. Remind me that I have to update my blog too, while I'm there.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, except most of the sites were BLOCKED by the gov, and internet was lacking XD

    ReplyDelete